(VERTİGO)
There are systems that balance our body. These are; brain system, inner ear system, deep sense system and eyes. Among them, the most important ones are ears and cerebellum. As a result of failure in these systems, “vertigo” a kind of dizziness occurs. In case you have noticed, all balance systems are in the “head” area of our bodies.

      When these patients consult doctors, they are asked a couple of questions. (I was asked the same questions too)

     - When did the dizziness begin? How long did it last? Did something like visual impairment, vomiting etc. happen? , and so on…  MRI is done to examine the brain. Otorhinolaryngology and audiometric (hearing) tests and blood tests are done to examine the patient. Eventually the treatment continues with medications and exercises etc.

      The feeling of discomfort disappears for a while, however some day it reoccurs all of sudden. Perhaps you have to drive that day or have an important meeting… All plans fall through, your life turn into a nightmare.

     My Vertigo showed up seven years ago. I went to doctors many times and all tests that I mentioned above were done to me. They got no result. I used the medication for months but it was worthless. My disease was acting up at least two, three times a year. Sometimes it was taking a couple of days, sometimes more than a week and then was disappearing and acting up later on.

     Now let’s come to the point; let me tell you how I got rid of Vertigo:

     On a day I had severe dizziness, a family friend I really loved and kept in touch through the phone but hadn’t seen for years, came to visit me. Everyone knows how it happens when friends meet after long years.  I had to welcome him warmly and be sincere but I couldn’t.  I had to put him off because of my disease. When nausea is added to my dizziness, my movements became limited and I had no way to reflect my feelings and thought to my friend. Worrying that he would be offended by my behaviour, I said:
   
 “I’m very sorry. Please don’t get me wrong, I cannot do the honours properly because now I feel terrible because of “vertigo”.”

He said: “Don’t be sorry, no one else could understand you better than me. I had the same trouble for years and thank god I got over it.”

My friend saw me looking him in despair and continued:

    “Let me tell you the whole story. I had treatment in several different hospitals for my Vertigo however I achieved no result. My colleague, who suffered from the same disease for years, and I decided to make a research on this disease. (My friend and his friend have extensive knowledge in fruit growing research) We decided to keep tally of our daily behaviours, habits etc. and then to crosscheck to see what we’ll have at the end.
       We compared the time periods when we had Vertigo, we did it many times and every time we came to the same point.”

I was getting more curious.
   
He continued…
   
      “Generally many people do this. When we come home from work, we lay on the sofa to have a rest. So far everything is normal however the problem begins here. We put our nape on the arm of the sofa and generally fall asleep in that position. When we wake up our Vertigo begins. (Even, people who do not have Vertigo have dizziness). That was the point where our researches concurred. It’s been 8 years since then, and neither my friend nor I had dizziness ever again.”

       I really thought for a couple of seconds. I had an epiphany. A day before that night, I had fallen asleep just like that, laying my head on the sofa arm.

     According to my own experience, I also avoided doing some simple moves I mentioned below and God willing, 4 years ago I got rid of Vertigo. I never had dizziness again.

You will hopefully get rid of this disease by paying attention to the following:

1-As I mentioned above, we shouldn’t lay our head on the sofa arm and sleep in that position or remain stable in the same position for a long time.

2-During long trips, we should not sleep leaning our head right or left immoderately. We should use soft pillow. 

3-If we have to wear tie, we should avoid wearing shirts with tight neck. We should prefer wider ones.

4-We should move our head and avoid staying in the same position for a long time while watching TV or using computers.

5-We should not use hard and high pillows in bed. We should prefer soft ones.
        
      We discussed this with Mr. ….., the doctor of the county where I was working those years. He cared very much about what I told and took notes in his agenda. At the top of the notes, he wrote “Important”. 

     Surely, what I tell doesn’t mean that people shouldn’t go to doctors. We will do absolutely anything and look for a remedy. God is the one who will cure. If I could lead good things by this article, please send me your prayers. I hope I could help my readers or people around them who suffer from this disease.